November 23, 2008

Retro Cartoon Robot Papercraft

There are two things that always make me smile: monkeys and robots. So you can expect to see builds of both in the future. :) Today the post goes to robots.

On the left is Rosie the robot maid from the early 60's American television cartoon The Jetsons . The model may look simple but it actually took some time to complete. The original template is very small, without instructions, and was not designed with any gluing tabs. I enlarged the template almost 100% and improvised my own gluing tabs to make it easier to build. The original template was designed by Phil Shore, USA, 2008 and can be found here.

On the right is H.E.R.B.I.E (Humanoid Experimental Robot, B-type, Integrated Electronics) from the 1978 Saturday morning cartoon The Fantastic Four which was based on the Marvel comic book series of the same name. The H.E.R.B.I.E character was designed by none other than comic book legend Jack Kirby who was working as a story board artist for the show at the time. After the show was canceled, H.E.R.B.I.E eventually began making appearances in the FF comic books themselves. The template for this papercraft was designed by Sean Kleefeld, USA, 1998 as part of a "fun pack" which was offered on his Fantastic Four fan site.The original template (see below) was designed to be assembled without glue but I improvised some gluing tabs on the head and body to help the model hold its shape better.


2 comments:

  1. Hey
    Thanks for an excellent page.
    I love Ghibli and robots too ^_^
    and just got hooked on paper crafting. So this is a real haven.

    I wanted to build the robot on the right - H.E.R.B.I.E from Fantastic Four, but the link doesn't exist anymore :(

    Do you know if they changed the name of the website, or even better, can you email me your version of the template with added gluing tabs.

    I would really appreciate it ^_^

    *Thanks*
    /Natasha
    email: natashaan(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natasha, robot fan. ^_^ I kept hoping that the link would come back but alas it seems permanently dead. I know several people have been wanting to build HERBIE so until someone complains about it, I will keep an image of the HERBIE template up on the post for people like yourself to download. Let me know if you have any problems.

    I like that you think of my blog as a haven. That makes me smile. ^_^ Thanks.

    ReplyDelete