January 12, 2010

Half-Life Papercraft: Headcrab Zombie Mask

I consider this papercraft project something of a failed experiment, but I thought I would post it anyway just in case someone else might be able to do something with it. My original goal was to take a 3D model of a headcrab zombie from the Half-Life video game and turn the zombie's head into a full size hollow paper model that could be worn as a mask. Well, that was a nice idea, but after I did a test build it became apparent that the thing was a little too strangely shaped to work well as a mask. Still, someone else might be able to modify it to get it to work. For those unfamiliar with Half-Life, headcrabs are parasitic creatures that attach themselves to a human host's head eventually turning the host into a zombie. The faint skull image that appears on this papercraft model is presumably the host's skull showing through the headcrab's tightly stretched skin. Details of the template are as follows:

Scale: 1:1 estimated
Finished Size: 15.7"(40cm) x 12.6"(32cm) x 13.8"(35cm)
Number of sheets: 12
Number of parts: 34
Difficulty: 3/5
Download (includes lined & unlined PDF's and a PDO)

Previous Half-Life Papercraft:9mm Glock Handgun

6 comments:

  1. My first thought would be to try using a model from HL2 or something a bit higher res. Probably more likely to get a better fit with something more detailed.

    Beyond that, you could always wear it as a hat, rather than a mask. Most of the headcrab merch they sell is just worn as a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hat! Yes. Why does it not surprise me that you were the one who thought of a hat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a wearable face-covering is generally pretty tough to pull off with paper.

    Also I've seen things like this:
    http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/19/headcrab-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. The main problem I have found is that in most cases a paper/cardstock mask is too "floppy". So either the paper mask becomes just a starting point that gets reinforced to make it stiffer (like those guys who make life size Halo helmets out of cardstock models reinforced with fiberglass mesh)or the paper mask has to be somehow designed to be stiffer (double wall construct, etc). Did you run into any issues with your Jenova mask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really intended to wear the Jenova mask, really, but it keeps its shape fairly well. I hung it up, and it's resisting deformation nicely.

    The full-face helmets I've done seem to work pretty well. A little elasticity is actually good in those cases, mainly because the design closes in around the neck, so wedging it over your forehead can be a bit of a task.

    I've never really had issues with cardstock floppiness though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps "floppiness" was not the best choice of words. I was looking for a word to describe deformation around the edge of the mask.

    ReplyDelete